The May 2022 issue of The Picayune Magazine features Ivee Freeman, 4, of Burnet, playing for the One Hit Wonders, a T-Ball team hailing from the Highland Lakes YMCA at Galloway-Hammond in Burnet. The story is about the importance of youth sport. Photo by Grace Gates/Luedecke Photography
Youth sports, coming to terms with damaged history and May events fill the pages of the new issue of Picayune Magazine, hitting mailboxes this week and being distributed to newsstands and businesses. Plus, a special By the Numbers feature outlines what’s at stake in this month’s three (yes, THREE) elections.
Student correspondent Grace Gates, a junior at Burnet High School, wrote and directed the cover story for the May 2022 issue.
“Youth sports were a big influence on me, and I thought it would be cool to hear other stories, too,” Gates told Editor-in-Chief Suzanne Freeman when she first proposed the story. “I noticed that in smaller towns in particular, sport plays such a big role in keeping children out of trouble and developing close friendships. It’s such a great thing for a community.”
Gates grew up involved in youth sports, playing t-ball and mostly basketball. She is on the Burnet High School basketball team and takes part in the debate team. She also works part-time for Luedecke Photography.
A historic roadside marker near you might be in need of some TLC. A young couple in Cottonwood Shores and Victory Media’s Mac McClennahan share their stories of researching, finding and restoring road markings.
McClennahan is the morning show host for KBEY 103.9 FM Radio Picayune. He walks readers through a step-by-step restoration process for Texas Historical Commission road markings.
Nichole and Michael Ritchie call themselves history nerds. Her hobby led her to find the missing Texas Centennial Marker that once graced a demolished roadside park south of the US 281 bridge in Marble Falls. Find out where it was and where it’s going now in the May issue.
The festival season peaks in May and you can find details on the pages of Picayune Magazine starting with a new date for Marble Falls LakeFest. The Southern Drag Boat Association kicks off its 2022 season on the shores of Lake Marble Falls on May 21st and 22nd. See page 8 for details.
Also in the May issue:
- • Story about Honor Flight Austin’s planned trip this fall with veterans from the Highland Lakes
- how a Horseshoe Bay retiree growing up in a Chicago boxcar town became a successful businessman and father
- how to submit your own stories for possible inclusion in the pages of Picayune Magazine
- the Events Short List, which details the many events coming this month
- where the magazine with its readers in Where in the World is The Picayune?
- who was at the Bluebonnet Festival last month
WHERE TO FIND THE PICAYUNE
If you don’t have The Picayune Magazine in your mailbox, you can always find one in a Highland Lakes store. Thank you Highland Lakes for your support of Picayune Magazine. Still free after all these years!
HORSESHOE BAY/COTTONWOOD SHORE
- La Quinta Inn, 501 FM 2147 West
- World Sign, 755 Rocky Road (FM 2147)
- Bob’s Drive In (Exxon) on FM 2147
- Grease Monkey, 3907 FM 2147
- Julies Cocina, 4319 FM 2147
- PK Nails, 7405 FM 2147
- Subway, 4823 FM 2147
- 7-Eleven, 8000 FM 2147
- Horseshoe Bay Veterinary Clinic, 264072 Texas 71
- Spykes Bar-B-Que, 14601 RR 1431 West
- Wakepoint Convenience Store, 14757 RR 1431 West
- Satellite Station, 100 W. Chamberlain St.
- Kingsland Coffee (inside Antlers Inn), 1001 King Ct.
- Subway, 1133 RR 1431
- Valentine Lakeside Resort, 814 Euel Moore
- Kingsland Water Supply, 1422 West Drive
- Buddies, 1621 RR 1431
- Mr. Gatti, 3501W RR 1431
- El Bracero, 1516 RR 1431
- Kingsland Health Mart Pharmacy, 306 RM 2900
- The downtown plaza, 1910 RR 1431 West
- ACE Hardware, 2607 RR 1431 West
- Kingsland Health & Fitness, 2132 RR 1431 West
- Kingsland/Lake LBJ Chamber of Commerce, 1309 RR 1431
- Kingsland Hills Care Center, 3727 RR 1431 West
- Glen of the Eagles, 16942 FM 2341 in Burnet
- Delaware Springs Golf Course, 600 Delaware Springs Blvd. in burnet
- Trailblazer Grill, 216 S. Main St. in Burnet
- Unwavering Reasons, 134 S. Main St. in Burnet
- Burnet Chamber of Commerce, 101 N. Pierce St., Suite 1
- Cecil Automotive, 2601 S. Water St. (US 281) in Burnet
- Highland Lakes YMCA at Galloway-Hammond, 1601 S. Water St. (US 281) in Burnet
- Ascension Seton Highland Lakes, 3201 S. Water St. (US 281) in Burnet
- Looking good at 1001 S. Water St. (US 281) in Burnet
- Crazy Gal’s Restaurant, 414 Buchanan Drive (Texas 29) in Burnet
- Reese’s Truck Pieces, 610 Buchanan Drive (Texas 29) in Burnet
- Hill Country Auto Glass, 1100 Buchanan Drive (Texas 29) in Burnet
- B Dogs Nutrition Spot, 102 E. Polk St. (Texas 29) in Burnet
- Bill’s Burgers, 306 W. Polk St. (Texas 29) in Burnet
- Storm’s, 700 N. Water St. (US 281) in Burnet
- Comfort Inn, 810 S. Water St. (US 281) in Burnet,
- Country Oaks Assisted Living, 407 W. Jackson St. in Burnet
- The Oaks Nursing Home, 507 W. Jackson St. in Burnet
- Emergency Brakes, 16211 Texas 29 East at Buchanan Dam
- Jesse James Real Estate, 18036 Texas 29 East at Buchanan Dam
- Lake Buchanan/Inks Lake Chamber of Commerce, 19611 Texas 29 East in Buchanan Dam
- Food Mart, 2045 RR 261 in Buchanan Dam
- Lakeshore Branch Library, 7346 RR 261 at Buchanan Dam
- J&S Quick Stop, 110 Frazier in tow
- Buchanan General Store, 10240 Texas 29
- Big Chief RV Resort, 1420 FM 690
- Hoover Valley Cafe & Store at 4 Park Road
- 2 Roosters RV Park, 1315 FM 1980
- Sunset Point Resort, 2322 N. Wirtz Dam Roaqd
- Cracker Barrel Grocery Store, 6836 RR 1431
- Rocky Top Food Mart, 6924 RR 1431 West
- Buck’s Convenience Store, 8201 RR 1431
- Chinese Kitchen, 705 First St.
- Thread & Needle, 911 Ninth St.
- RE/MAX Marble Falls, 808 Ninth St.
- Marble Falls Visitor Center, 100 Avenue G
- Bear King Brewery, 207 Avenue G
- Holiday Inn, 714 Corazon Drive
- Mike’s Flooring, 1804 RR 1431 West
- Blue Bonnet Cafe, 211 US 281
- Wingman Oil Change, 2514 US 281 North
- Baylor Scott & White, 800 and 810 Texas 71
- Jardin Corona, main street 301
- Red Box Newsstand in Old Oak Square on Main Street
- Main Street Broadcast, 216 Main St.
- Gateway Mansion, 601 Steve Hawkins Parkway
- Hampton Inn, 704 First St.
- Marble Falls/Lake LBJ Chamber of Commerce, 916 Second St.
- Birdie’s Antiques, 706 Third St.
- Chocolatte’s, 807 Third St.
- Rae’s R-Bar Grill, 904 Third St.
- Zina & Co. Real Estate, 614 Seventh St.
- Dale Brown Properties, 206 Avenue H
- Claremont, 800 Claremont
- Poole Eye Associates, 10008 Falls Parkway
- Gateway Gardens, 605 Gateway Central
- Highland Lakes Veterinary Hospital, 1110 RR 1431
- Margaritas, 1205 RR 1431
- Unleashed, 1110 RR 1431
- Lone Star Capitol Bank, 1001 RR 1431
- Numinous coffee roaster, 175 RR 1431
- Doc’s Fish Camp & Grill, 900 RR 1431 West at US 281
- Kwik Chek #52, 1003 RR 1431 West
- CK Medical Spa, 1712 RR 1431 West
- Pottery Ranch, 6000 U.S. 281
- Kwik Chek No. 53, 1301 US 281
- Wingman BBQ, 2407 US 281
- Tea Thyme Cafe, 2108 US 281
- Hill Country Inn, 1101 US 281
- Marble Falls Athletic Club, 2312 US 281
- Texan credit, 1514 US 281
- Quality Inn, 1206 US 281 North
- Wingman Carwash, 2605 US 281 North
- Best Western, 1403 US 281 North
- Arbor House, 1801 King Road
- Service title, Hauptstr. 117
- Marble Falls Flower Shop, 214 Main St.
- ReDid, Hauptstrasse 209
- Highland Lakes Art Guild, 318 Main St.
- Granite Mesa, 1401 Max Copeland Drive
- Hill Country Nutrition, 1405 Mormon Mill
- Motel 6, 1400 Ollie Lane
- Louisiana Crab Shack, 602 Steve Hawkins Parkway
- Opies, 9504 Texas 71 East in Spicewood
- Spicewood General Store, 9418 Texas 71 East in Spicewood
ROUND MOUNTAIN/JOHNSON CITY
- Old Olie’s Outside, 10541 US 281 North
- Big’s (Valero), 10541 US 281
- Whittington, 602 US 281 South
- El Agave, 408 US 281 North
- Lone Star Capital Bank, 403 US 281 South
- Best Western, 107 US 281 South
- Fat Boy’s Burgers, 104 US 281 South
- Hill Country Closet, 101 US 281
- JC Spirits, 100 US 281 South
- Johnson City Library, 501 Nugent Ave.
- Johnson City Chamber of Commerce, 100 E. Main St.
- Pecan Street Brewery, 106 E. Pecan Drive
- Harvest House, 506 N. Nugent
- Stripe, 901 Bessemer Ave.
- Stripes, 200 Texas 71
- Llano Chamber of Commerce, 100 Train Station Drive
- Fuel Coffee House, 106 E. Main St.
- Stonewall Pizza, 109 W. Main St.
- LanTex Theater, 113 W. Main St.
- Jesse James Estate, 500 W. Young St.
- Cooper’s BBQ, 604 W. Young St.
- Robinson Llano City RV Park, 101 Robinson Park Drive